UPDATED & EXPANDED - Including four brand new chapters covering today's technologies, economics and changing issues in practice management.
Yes, says practice management expert Judy Capko, and she reveals how in the Second Edition of her best-selling guide, Secrets of the Best-Run Practices. In plain-English, the author - a noted practice management expert - maps out the smart but ingeniously simple tactics today’s most successful medical practices and ambulatory care centers are using to thrive despite tough economics, tight reimbursement, and practice management issues such as changes in workforce demographics and the prospect of upcoming health care reform.
From consulting engagements with hundreds of medical practices, Capko shares "best of the best" ideas plus ready-to-use tools. Whether you have a practice that’s growing so fast you're losing control … or a practice that's struggling with patients and profitability, Secrets shows you proven tactics for improving practice revenues and patient satisfaction, managing the phones, streamlining workflow, and hiring and retaining dedicated staff. Use these real-life secrets to create a smoother, more profitable practice where staff wants to work and patients want to come!
Selected Table of Contents
- Mission Possible: how defining your mission sets your practice up for success.
- The Perfect Receptionist Gets Wired: how to use technology to enhance efficiency and make patients feel special.
- Conquering Workflow Problems: how to eliminate bottlenecks at the front office before they create unpredictable, unmanageable workflow.
- The Amazingly Productive Doctor: how to master clinical flow and make time count so you can outperform peers while enjoying more personal time, too.
- Mastering the Appointment Schedule: secrets for better service, higher productivity and improved patient compliance.
- Commonsense Risk Management: how paying just a little more attention to details — and patients —makes a huge difference in avoiding mishaps, errors and other problems.
- Shredding the Paper Monster: how a 7-day-a-week pediatric practice smoothly switched over to new practice management and electronic health record systems.
- The Changing Dynamics of Outpatient Academic Practices: how faculty practices differ from the traditional private community medical practice and how to change your culture successfully.
- The Power of Revenue Management: how to improve financial results by maximizing charge capture and revenue recovery, including how the patient collections process is changing.
- Great Employees—The Simple Truth: solid, practical advice on obtaining peak performance from every employee.
- The Money Crunch: how to keep rapid growth from sabotaging success (and if you’re about to implode what to do now to recover).
- Reshaping the Practice—A New Genre: case studies of three different types of practices that successfully changed direction.
- Smart-Sourcing for the Savvy Practice: how to use outsourcing to get the job done better and achieve remarkable ROI.
- Starting Over—Yes You Can! Feel trapped in your current position? Learn how three physicians changed course after years of practicing medicine and traded extremely difficult situations for more satisfying personal and professional lives.
- The Practice of the Future: how to use technology and innovation to meet emerging practice management issues and meet the changing expectations of your patients, staff and community.
- TOOLBOX: 46 downloadable (in PDF and Word) ready-to-use forms, management tools, surveys, flow charts, worksheets and more!
Judy Capko is the founder of Capko & Company, a healthcare consultant, speaker and author of the popular books, Secrets of the Best-Run Practices and Take Back Time - Bringing Time Management to Medicine (both in print and in audio book from Greenbranch Publishing). Judy has gained national recognition as a practice management consultant, working with small and large practices, as well as major academic faculty practices. She is a popular speaker for major healthcare conferences and has been interviewed by and published in over 50 prestigious national medical journals. Judy serves on the Advisory Board for The Doctor’s Office and The Journal of Medical Practice Management®.
"Secrets is hands down my favorite ‘how to’, Medical Office 101."
Sharon E. McKinney
Gainesville, Georgia 30501
"Outstanding overview of what it takes to run a successful medical practice, and filled with great examples…"
Louise Garcia, MD, FACOG
Thousand Oaks, CA
"Judy's experience and knowledge in practice management is extraordinary. A copy of this book should be given to every physician graduating from medical school."
Chris Riley, MBA and RCM and EMR Consultant
Colorado Springs, Colorado
"Secrets has been a ready guide and Judy Capko an excellent coach when confronted with challenging situations."
Mark Milinski, RN, MS, and Practice Administrator
"…innovative solutions for both small and large practices. These valuable secrets on improving business performance are practical and easy to apply."
Glen S. Kay, MD, FACEP
"Wow, once again Judy has provided the medical practice management world with straight-shooting and insightful solutions to our most daunting obstacles. Thanks Judy!"
Amy McIntosh, Director Health Choice
"Real-time practice management solutions that every physician and medical practice leader should have as required reading. Judy's Secrets of the Best Run Practices shouldn’t be ‘Secret’ any longer."
Clifford H Meyer, MBA, CMPE, and CEO
"Judy Capko has provided the medical practice manager with a treasure trove of practice improvement ideas that can be implemented today. What are you waiting for?"
Kenneth T. Hertz, CMPE