Protecting your Medical Practice in an Era of Increased Compliance Risk
Speaker: Betsy Nicoletti, MS, CPC, Founder, www.Codapedia.com and Best-selling Author of The Field Guide to Physician Coding, 2nd Edition
Practice leaders can and must assess their compliance risk and takes steps to decrease it in order to protect their practice. Newspapers are filled with stories of Medicare recoupment of large sums of money, and of government prosecution of health care fraud. In order to protect a practice and operate it compliantly, a medical practice leader must first know what the areas of risk are.
Government payers, private contractors hired by Medicare and Medicaid and private payers all are targeting health care providers as a source of revenue recoupment. Healthcare reform increased the penalties and decreased the time between discovering an overpayment and the obligation to repay. Medical practices must take immediate steps to assess their areas of risk and mitigate the risk.
Hear Betsy Nicoletti as she gives you the roadmap for your medical practice’s compliance plan -- After the session, participants will be able to:
- Identify risk areas within their own practices
- Use data to compare their own group with CMS norms
- Develop three key actions to decrease their own risk
And there’s even more that we’ll cover:
- How to find out what the government thinks are areas of risk, including the OIG, CMS, and the CERT and RAC contractors
- Where to locate normative data, and what data is important to review
- How to compare practice data with CMS norms
- Why auditing E/M services is not enough
- Two areas of non-coding related risk often overlooked by medical practices
- What should be included an up-to-date compliance plan
- Steps to take when an error or overpayment is discovered
- …When to call a lawyer
Meet Our Expert Speaker:
Betsy Nicoletti, MS, CPC, is the co-founder of Codapedia.com, a website which is dedicated to providing user-generated, free reimbursement information for physician practices. She is also the author of the Physician Auditing Workbook, published by DecisionHealth and The Field Guide to Physician Coding published by Greenbranch Publishing. Betsy speaks nationally on coding education. In addition to writing and speaking, Betsy educates physicians and coders and helps practices with complying with government regulations while collecting all of the reimbursement they are entitled to collect. Her consulting firm is Medical Practice Consulting.
Moderator: Nancy Collins, Publisher of The Journal of Medical Practice Management®
Greenbranch Publishing audio conferences and webinars are available at quantity discounts for use in training and education. Unauthorized distribution of the editorial content of Greenbranch Publishing conferences, either live or in recorded format, is expressly prohibited. For more information on sponsorship of conferences, quantity discounts, or to apply to Greenbranch as a reseller, please call (800) 933-3711 or email@example.com.